Have a rummage...

Friday 25 May 2012

In The Heart Of Darkest....Abingdon?

Tonight saw the last prepping game before we launch a summer campaign here at the club next week, based on the Heart Of Darkest Africa rules that originally saw print in Wargames Illustrated and using a variety of Warlord, Copplestone and of course Foundry African figures.

Since Salute 2012 came and went, we've played through an encounter, raid and an ambush, so tonight was the last of engagements covered by the rules, a planned attack by my Zanzibaris, led by the noble and most eloquent Shah Wadi-wadi, against a Ngoni village. 

I was pleasantly surprised by how well my chaps did in melee against the Ngoni, but to be fair, they were fighting spearman, rather than warriors, which would be a very different kettle of fish.  I also foolishly forgot that my opponent did not deploy in my half of the table, and so had my scout futilely scouting areas which were one hundred percent ambush free.  Oh well.  

At present, my main concern is how to deal with the fact that typically, I'm outnumbered, both in terms of enemy units and figures within those units.  It's all very well having some reasonable firepower, but that can only be brought to bear on one enemy unit at a time, and in the meanwhile, those other cunning Ngoni and Ruga-Ruga units are getting closer and closer.  

Oh well; perhaps I should have stayed in the Arabian peninsula...

No photos this time, as I was too busy playing; mind you, the jungle would have looked very familiar.

Next week:  the campaign proper begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Abingdon_Wargames

Powered by uk.groups.yahoo.com